Over the course of an eclectic legal career, spanning the better part of two-decades, Scott has developed a broad array of litigation support and project management skills. Working for several of Toronto’s most prestigious litigation boutiques, he has competently assisted senior lawyers at several lengthy and high-profile trials and appeals. Recently, prior to returning to his freelance practice, Scott spent 17 months gaining valuable experience as a senior litigation support analyst for TransPerfect Legal Solutions, a leading global eDiscovery services vendor.
Scott’s freelance practice was first launched in 2015 in response to a rapidly changing legal services marketplace and the narrowing of the scope of the traditional litigation law clerk’s role. From the beginning, Scott’s freelance practice has been focused on serving the practice needs of solo lawyers and litigation boutiques. He is uniquely qualified and experienced to manage large and complex document management projects that are difficult or impossible for small firms to staff in-house.
*Admission to Association of Certified eDiscovery Specialists (ACEDS) pending.
- Early data analysis and consultations with clients to identify and preserve ESI
- Collection and processing of client ESI into review, including data de-duplication and reduction of ESI volume through key word and date range searches
- Attendance with lawyers at early stage discovery planning meetings and assistance with the preparation of Discovery Plans
- Consult with clients with respect to technology assisted review strategies and workflows
- Conduct first level relevance and privilege reviews under lawyer/matter expert supervision
- Document imaging
- Creation and export of production load files
- Final download and archiving of data/images
- Ingestion of opposing party productions for review
- Objective coding (when absolutely necessary) and application of redactions
Law Clerk Services
- Preparation of affidavits of documents
- Assist lawyers at examinations for discovery
- Electronic management of transcripts and undertakings
- Preparation of motions arising from discovery
- Assist lawyers with pre-trial and trial preparation
- Preparation of appeal materials
- Prepare evidence presentations for use at Court
- Attendance at and co-ordination of electronic trials and appeals
eDiscovery is just for ‘Big Law’ right?
It is the primary goal of my freelance practice to assist solo lawyers and litigation boutiques achieve efficiencies through the adoption and utilization of ‘technology first’ best practices. I believe that the early and effective use of e-discovery and trial presentation technology will always result in lower costs as compared to paper-based discovery and trial practices.
As a senior litigation law clerk and litigation support professional, I stand for the proposition that early data and case assessment (including search term and date range culling, deduplication and analytics) and first level document review for relevance and privilege can, in most cases, be conducted by properly trained litigation support professionals and/or law clerks reporting to a lawyer/matter expert.